Writing Effective User Stories
User stories are a popular way to represent product backlog items in Scrum. They help the Scrum team capture and represent requirements from the end user’s perspective.
This 1-day immersive virtual training and online learning experience covers the essentials of writing effective user stories. In our foundational Scrum courses, Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO), Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), and Certified Scrum Developer (CSD) classes, participants got an introduction to user stories and product backlog items. In this workshop, we do a deep dive on the benefits of using user stories and how they differ from traditional requirements documents. We explore Agile vs. traditional requirements gathering techniques, the different types and categories of user stories, as well as attributes of good user stories, epic, themes, and features. We estimate, size, split, decompose, and clarify user stories.
This is a hands-on training workshop where you learn by doing, using a case study as well as your own products or services. You will leave this workshop with practical ways to gather requirements, a solid understanding of how to write effective user stories, and how to leverage them in planning, scheduling, estimating, and testing.
Who Should Attend
The class is appropriate for attendees that are brand new to Scrum or for more experienced practitioners involved in defining, gathering and managing requirements including:
- Product Owners
- Business Analysts
- User Experience Professionals
- Project Managers
- Business Leaders
The class is presented in a highly interactive and collaborative format with elements of exercises, games, simulations, videos, and classroom discussions interwoven throughout.
The class is 1 day and is offered live virtually or on-site in person.
- User Story Fundamentals
- Benefits of Using User Stories
- Types of user stories
- Themes, Epics, and User Stories
- Attributes of a good user story
- Estimating and sizing user stories
- Splitting User Stories
- Refining User Stories
- Adding Acceptance Criteria
- Tips for Writing Effective User Stories
Upon completion of this class, students will
- Earn 7 Project Management Institute Professional Development Units (PDUs)
- Earn 7 Scrum Alliance Scrum Educational Units (SEUs)
Registration includes the following:
- Live training
- Course workbook
- 7 PDUs and 7 SEUs
- Post class 1-on-1 coaching sessions
- Full money back guarantee
- Flexible cancelation policy
Money Back Guarantee
Your satisfaction is guaranteed! We are confident that you will be fully satisfied with this class. If the class is not meeting your expectations, just let us know by mid day of day 1 and we will give you a full refund.
Flexible Cancellation Policy
- Cancellation requests received at least 2 calendar days before the start of a class receive a full 100% refund. All other cancellation requests receive a full credit for a future class.
- Should the organizer cancel the class for any reason, a full 100% refund will be issued.
Did we miss anything? Not sure if this class is for you? Want us to send you an invoice? Feel free to reach out with any additional questions you might have. We are happy to help out!
This class is only offered as a private class for your team of 6+ participants at a date and time that works for your team. Private classes are available virtually or in-person. Special discounts apply for larger groups.