When we look at the different types of tests and the Agile Testing Quadrant, which tests in which quadrant can we automate?
In general, any tests that can be scripted can and should be automated. If we can map out a series of preparatory steps, followed by an action that results in an expected value or response, then this is a test that can be automated. Doing it manually is time consuming, exhausting, inefficient and not sustainable.
So which tests fall in this bucket?
- Unit, Integration, Component, and System – Yes
- Functional and UAT – Yes
- Performance, load, security, and stress – Yes
- Exploratory and Usability – No or at least not yet!
Almost all of the tests with the exception of exploratory testing and usability testing can be automated. It is these types of tests where we need human observation and analysis to determine the types of tests and the results of the tests.
Exploratory tests by definition are non-scripted so automating them is not currently possible (though with the advances in AI, who knows?)
Usability tests involves human interactions and observations and cannot be automated.
So the majority of our manually testing time should be spent on these types of tests (usability and exploratory). This does not mean that we do not do manually testing in other areas, like functional or acceptance testing for example. It just means that most of the tests in the other areas can and should be automated so we can have our limited manual testing time spent in the areas where we cannot automate.
Also check out the entire Agile Testing series:
- 4 Typical Transitions Teams Go Through When They First Start Adopting Scrum
- The Most Common Misunderstanding of Agile Software Development
- What are the Different Types of Tests?
- What is The Agile Testing Quadrant?
- Which Tests Should We Automate?
- How Many Tests Are Enough?
- What is The Testing Pyramid?
- When Do We Start Testing in Scrum?
- Who Is Responsible for Testing in Scrum?
- What is Test Driven Development (TDD)?
- Why You Shouldn’t Do Functional Testing From the UI?
- What are Executable Specifications or Specifications by Example?
- What is Acceptance Test Driven Development (ATTD)?
- Testing Green Field Applications vs. Legacy Applications
- What is Exploratory Testing?
- Top 8 Things to Consider for Your Agile Testing Strategy
- Agile Testing – Testing from Day 1 Presentation